Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Adding lists

Omikichan   October 21st, 2010 3:19p.m.

Hello,

I'm relatively new to skritter and am finding it very helpful but i don't really know how to use the site very well.

I would like to have lists i can study but when i try to add a list - it seems as if i have to add the words manually using pinyin. Since i don't know most of the vocab i am choosing to learn / would like to refresh my memory, then i don't have long lists planted in my head.

Isn't there a way to click on vocab and add them that way?

nick   October 22nd, 2010 9:12a.m.

If I understand your question correctly: you can currently browse any other lists, click words to select them, and hit "Add to Queue". Lots of topical word lists out there to choose from.

If you're talking about looking up words by definition and adding them to your studies that way, head on over to MDBG and do some searches. You can press the "S" button on any search result row to add the word to your Skritter queue. Just be careful not to add uselessly rare stuff.

amateur   November 5th, 2010 10:35a.m.

I am also new and have a similar question. How do I make a custom list without manually inserting each word? E.g., I am using words from the textbooks for the most part (let's go with Integrated Chinese 1 textbook for my example), and I want to make a list that is everything in lesson 3 (not just dialogue 1 or dialogue 2), plus a few extra words my teacher taught us.

So far I only know how to "cram" (study one dialogue at a time), study everything (including all the previous stuff I learned), or make a list out of entirely self-inputted words (which I suppose I can use to reach my goal, but it would take a very long time and the words are already in the system).

nick   November 5th, 2010 5:37p.m.

Open one tab and make a new list in it. When you get to the part where you would type in the words, open another tab and go to IC1 Lesson 3 Dialogue 1. Select all the words in there, copy, go over to the first tab, and paste them in. Then grab Dialogue 2. Then manually input the few extra words that you want.

The trick here is that you can copy just about any characters or list of characters you see on the Skritter site and paste them into the list editor, and the list editor will understand.

HelenD   March 29th, 2011 10:22p.m.

How do you "select all the words"? I don't have check boxes next to most of the words in the list for the chapter I want to study.

nick   March 30th, 2011 9:12p.m.

Click your mouse above and to the left of the topmost word, then drag it down and to the right of the bottommost word. Then press Ctrl+C (or Cmd+C on Mac). That will copy the words. Then you can go to the other list editor, press Ctrl+V (or Cmd+V on Mac) to paste.

HelenD   March 31st, 2011 12:11a.m.

Thanks a lot, Nick. I thought I had tried the Ctrl+C, without success, but it worked beautifully just now. Great!!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!