Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Wacom on Ubuntu

Lurks   October 12th, 2010 6:09a.m.

I promised this ages ago but I got a bit busy, then went off Linux for awhile... had a bash again with 10.10 and I'm really happy with it.

This is how to get a Wacom Pen and Touch working and some basic config stuff.

1. Install stuff to make Wacom work. There's different ways of doing this, the following is hands down the easiest and it doesn't break when the kernel updates.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ripps818/wacom; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install wacom-dkms

Just copy that to shell and let it rock.

2. Reboot.

3. Your Wacom should work. It'll be very basic. What you need to use is xsetwacom to change settings.

You probably want to Google this but here's what I use which is super basic:

xsetwacom set 'Wacom BambooFun 2FG 4x5 Finger touch' touch off
xsetwacom set 'Wacom BambooFun 2FG 4x5 Pen stylus' TopX 10000
xsetwacom set 'Wacom BambooFun 2FG 4x5 Pen stylus' TopY 5000

This turns the touch feature off and reduces the usable area of the pad to the bottom right corner somewhat. Note that your device name might be different than mine so you'll have to type xsetwacom --list to find out a list of your devices.

4. Make your xsetwacom stuff stay.

Alt-F2, type gksudo nautilus. This will launch a window in root mode. Edit /etc/rc.local which is a script that runs when your system starts. Pop your xsetwacom settings in there or have it execute a different script possible. Either way, this should mean when you reboot your settings come back.

What's it like?

Well, it's hard to put my finger on exactly why but it's a thousand percent better than Windows. It's definitely faster for a start, even in Chrome. The bog standard default pressure etc just seems cool to me but of course if you configured your Wacom to funky settings on Windows you may be rather more difficult to please.

nick   October 12th, 2010 8:44a.m.

Awesome--I'll add a link to this post on the Wacom settings page. Thanks Lurks!

po   October 21st, 2010 5:39p.m.

Thank you very much. I am a Linux newbie and it felt wonderful when it started to work!
I would like to ask you how can I assign the pen buttons. Besides the eraser, I would like to assign the 2 other buttons on the side of pen with the same "right click" function.

Thank you very much!

XD   December 13th, 2010 8:26p.m.

thx ,it work's

Rudiger Wolf   February 11th, 2011 4:48p.m.

I have a new Wacom Bamboo Tablet, it does not work but the old one does! Any suggestions?

OLDER working Bamboo Tablet.
rnwolf@rnwolf-xps:~$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 010: ID 056a:00d1 Wacom Co., Ltd

NEWER Bamboo tablet
rnwolf@rnwolf-xps:~$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 011: ID 056a:00d6 Wacom Co., Ltd

Both tablets work on MS-Win7 OS (dual boot).

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!