Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Back button not working as well in new version

pprendeville   November 26th, 2012 7:38a.m.

Using Skritter on iPad and it doesn't seem to go back to the previous character as smoothly as before. Anyone else having this issue?

Marian Rosenbef   November 26th, 2012 8:29a.m.

Yep! And i frequently end up entering information for the next character while tryi g to hit th back button. I also find that the placement of the buttons is not as intuitive as before. I might be trying to grade myself but I end up going back or forward.

mcfarljw   November 26th, 2012 9:03a.m.

I had that problem with the old version using an iPod Touch and marking things wrong. If I hit perfectly in the bottom left corner it just marks it correct and moves on.

pprendeville   November 26th, 2012 10:25a.m.

Might I suggest ( if it is possible to do this) that a back button be introduced somewhere although tbh this isn't a major issuer, just a bit frustrating at times when tapping 4-5 times and then it actually moves onto the next character.

pprendeville   November 26th, 2012 11:06a.m.

Just looking at it again more closely and sometimes when I tap the LHS to go back it instead goes forward to the next character. Don't remember that happening in the last version.

Seant018   November 26th, 2012 11:24a.m.

I am actually the opposite, I find it easier to go back (compared to when I had it at 2x before) and I find myself accidentally skipping ahead too easily. Before, I used to tap anywhere but the far right/left and it would stop the countdown timer, giving me as much time as I wanted with the character. Now, I find that if I tap certain spots it just goes ahead to the next character.

nick   November 26th, 2012 2:13p.m.

I think that it would greatly help me adjust the hit areas if y'all would download this file, then, while trying out different sorts of taps on the iPad that trip you up, mark the hit areas that are giving you problems:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhkx2is39wffopc/ipad_app_hit_areas.png

Then either share the illustrated image on Dropbox or some other image-sharing site, or email it to nick@skritter.com. As much detail as possible, both in describing the hit areas and in what typically goes wrong, will be appreciated!

夏普本   November 26th, 2012 2:45p.m.

Any way to go back to the previous version?

Never mind I've managed to transfer the old version from my iPhone, just seems so much better.

Seant018   December 3rd, 2012 7:22a.m.

I don't have access to Dropbox stuff right now because I am using my phone/iPad, but I can describe where I have trouble.

If you divide the writing area into the 4 quadrants like on the iPad, the forward button bleeds into the writing space in the top right and bottom right, almost halfway to the middle line, quite far. From about the 75% mark all the way to the edge of the writing surface.

*Image, lt me know if you can see it*

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50813783@N02/8241692286/

nomadwolf   December 5th, 2012 11:21p.m.

That's about what I'm experiencing as well...

nick   December 6th, 2012 12:03a.m.

Thanks. I see that hit area problem and will work on it for the next version. Any other problematic hit areas will be good to know about soon, too.

Kai Carver   December 9th, 2012 5:01p.m.

two-fingered swipe might be a natural way to go back and forth, though for stylus users, a back hit area would still be necessary.

also, I'm sure it's been said before, but being able to go back further would be great. Currently you can almost not go back at all. I'd feel more in control if I could go back and see the last few characters I studied, and not "lose" them almost immediately. It's a bit like "undo" in an editor or draw program: a single level of undo feels very limiting.

by the way, when I go back, it's not to correct anything, just to see a character or word again: to have another look at it, maybe to study it a little better. It's weird for it to be inaccessible.

nomadwolf   December 17th, 2012 2:18a.m.

I'm going to keep recommending putting the forward/back buttons in the prompt area until someone agrees with me. :P

There would be few mistaken clicks in this area, but there would need to be some consideration for when you pull down the area to see mnemonics, etc...

still better than the many many times it sends me to the last prompt because I'm trying to write water or heart radicals on the left. (Mostly an iPhone problem... iPad has problems on the right as noted above)

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!