Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Skritter's Chinese name

葛修远   February 17th, 2011 4:00p.m.

Sorry if this has come up before, but does Skritter have a Chinese name?

nick   February 17th, 2011 8:18p.m.

We've never been able to decide on one, no. There've been a few threads where some were proposed, but consensus was not reached.

ddapore99   February 18th, 2011 4:49a.m.

Maybe it's because I'm studying Japanese but I really don't understand the desire to give Skritter a Chinese name and kanji. Could someone explain it to me. From my perspective it seems like a bad idea.

nick   February 18th, 2011 6:44p.m.

If you have some patience, there are interesting points brought up in these two posts:

http://chinayouren.com/en/2009/11/23/2530
http://chinayouren.com/en/2009/11/24/2540

I can try to summarize what I think is relevant:
* Chinese sounds make phonetic loanwords much less effective than in Japanese
* So does not having a real phonetic alphabet--even if you do want to do a phonetic loanword, you still have to pick characters for it unless it can be made entirely of letters like DVD, KTV, etc.
* China is proud of its linguistic tradition and likes to have Chinese-style names for things

I'm sure there are more points that I'm missing.

ddapore99   February 25th, 2011 3:25a.m.

Okay, I understand; in Japan they like to use English or Katakana. Since Skritter is for English speakers learning Kanji I think it doesn't matter if native speakers can say it's name. Having too names would only make sense if you wanted to market it to native speakers. Which by the way I believe is a good idea as Skritter is just that good.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!