Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Japanese - grouping and frequency

Tenma13   February 17th, 2011 11:11a.m.

Hi all,

Wondering if there is a way to see my groupings (the forgot it, so-so, got it, and too easy) and having the ones I classify as 'too easy as appearing less frequently?

I would like to focus on the ones I don't know rather than the ones I do. (I am using the Genki textbook list)

thanks

akitaben   February 18th, 2011 1:58p.m.

Hello Tenma,

I assume that you are in a similar situation as me, in that you are are new to Skritter but have some background in the language already. For me it took the first month to tear through vocabulary lists and get them properly ranked. For me I felt I was getting easy words too frequent even when I marked them as too easy, but over a few weeks they were falling into place.

Actually now, when I'm truely adding a new words, I'm careful not to mark it as "got it" or "too easy" until I'm really comfortable with it. And if I don't instantly recognize slightly older words, I'll mark them as "so-so" just to make sure they come up again to get a few more repetitions before marking them as "got it" again.

scott   February 18th, 2011 2:34p.m.

You're not actually putting your vocabs into 'groups' per se. What you're doing is scheduling the items for study based on how well you know them. Items you mark with a 1 show up fairly soon again. 2 causes them to be scheduled about for the same interval as last time. 3 increases the scheduled interval, and four increases the scheduled interval a lot. And next time it comes up, you need to mark it again how well you know it at that time.

To see when things are scheduled for, try using the My Words page. Sort the table by next and you'll see what's coming up. You can also get a general sense of your progress on a list by looking at the column on the right after toggling it to show you more data. The greener a box is, the more you know that item. And anywhere you see a given word, you can click it, or on the study page click the magnifying glass, to get detailed information about that word.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!