Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Thanks for 1 year & 4300 characters! Anniversary。

Foo Choo Choon   January 30th, 2011 5:15p.m.

Checking my account data, I found out that today marks the anniversary of the creation of my Skritter account.

谢谢, especially to Nick, George, Scott, Ben and Chris and all the other 网友! Dealing with my requests and new entries must have been quite some work.

Now let me blow that cow, sorry, I mean 吹牛 ...

During this one year I've spent 416 hours "on the writing panel", reviewed 210688 character writings and 122649 character tones.

I've learned 4339 characters and 6108 words (earlier status: http://twitter.com/mu_er/status/29139053647503360).

And still:
Skritter is addictive (as it was shortly after I had begun: http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=24766916, although I've made good progress in reducing the time). Because of the hunger for new stuff I had to switch to both traditional and simplified characters (so in fact it's just about 3600 really unique characters) ...
Now please add Cantonese pronunciation since I'm increasingly affected by diminishing marginal returns.

Due to my studies I'll have to decrease the pace of adding new words during the coming months, but Skritter remains every day's highlight and reward.

感激不尽,兄弟们,你们太给力了!

breakphreak   January 30th, 2011 6:21p.m.

Congratulations! (sounds like magic, btw :)

nick   January 30th, 2011 6:55p.m.

Hey, congratulations! That's some great progress you made, although at the rate at which you started, I'm not surprised by how much you're rocking it. Thanks for all the corrections you've made over the year. Many, many users help to keep our dictionary and character recipes honest, but you and shinyspoons pave the way on a lot of the rare stuff.

Cantonese! I don't know if we should feed your addiction... What about some nice kanji learning instead?

mike_thatguy   January 31st, 2011 3:03a.m.

Hearty congratulations all around! I'm curious, is it possible to see progress statistics for either simp. or trad. characters separately?

Foo Choo Choon   January 31st, 2011 3:58a.m.

mikethatguy312, a workaround is to interpret the number of character tones as the number of "unique" characters as you typically don't add a new tone when you add the traditional/simplified form.

If you know all the simplified form for all traditional forms, the number of unique characters should be about equal to the number of simplified characters, and the difference between this number and the total sum should be the number of additional traditional forms.

(approach has some of caveats)

Will Buckingham   January 31st, 2011 4:04a.m.

Impressive stuff - congratulations!

James Sharp   January 31st, 2011 7:18a.m.

Excuse me, it isn't polite to blow your 牛s in public.

Just kidding. Well done!

jcdoss   January 31st, 2011 12:14p.m.

Great story, and congrats!

west316   January 31st, 2011 1:53p.m.

Very nicely done, 穆儿. Congratulations.

jww1066   January 31st, 2011 3:09p.m.

Well done, that's a great accomplishment and you should be very proud of your hard work (even if it seems too fun to consider work).

To satisfy my own curiosity, I calculated the rates per practice hour, practice minute, and per day:

char writing reviews 506.5/hr 8.4/min 577.2/day
tone reviews 294.8/hr 4.9/min 336.0/day
char writings learned 10.4/hr 0.2/min 11.9/day
words learned 14.7/hr 0.2/min 16.7/day

It looks like you really blazed through at a very fast pace; it must have been some very small number of seconds per review, although the numbers don't tell us how many exactly.

James

ximeng   January 31st, 2011 4:07p.m.

Echo the congratulations 穆大哥, hope one day to follow on those footsteps.

mike_thatguy   January 31st, 2011 11:28p.m.

Good idea, 穆儿, that's a close enough approximation for my purposes. I always "cheat" on the traditional writings, so it's nice to be able to see more realistic numbers. Haha.

Alex444   February 3rd, 2011 9:45a.m.

This is truly inspiring, respect. I compared 穆儿 stats to my own... well, I am 3 times slower. Shall work harder!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!