Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

How to edit definitions before learning?

philwo   December 2nd, 2010 7:47p.m.

Hi,

I created some custom lists and want to change the definition of many words before learning them. (Why? ^^ I use Skritter in English, because the Japanese => English definitions are much better, than the Japanese => German ones. However, after seeing the English definition of a new word, I sometimes want to translate it into my own German definition in order to learn it in my mother-tongue.)

The method I currently use, is, to edit them on-the-fly when learning a word in practice mode for the first time. If I miss some, I go to Vocabulary -> Viewer and edit the remaining ones. However, words that haven't been added from my lists yet don't appear in the "Viewer", so I can't edit the definitions upfront. Thus, it's a rather slow way and I always have to pause while learning new words, in order to look-up a precise German definition, go back to Skritter, then edit it ...

Isn't there a faster way to edit definitions? It's not possible to edit them while actually entering new vocabulary, right?

Philipp

nick   December 2nd, 2010 7:54p.m.

While looking at the contents of your list, after you save the new words you put in, you can click on each word to get its popup and then edit the definition there. (You can't do this before you save the list, but right afterward, you can.)

Does this help?

philwo   December 2nd, 2010 8:27p.m.

Yes!! Ahh, great! I was looking for exactly this feature! :) Thank you!
It just never occured to me, that you can click on the words..

Byzanti   December 2nd, 2010 11:42p.m.

You can also do it once added to the queue. It's way more efficient this way...

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!