Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

looking forward to the next challenge

Bohan   October 22nd, 2010 4:20a.m.

This thread is sort of related to a thread that was posted earlier, but different enough in which I think it should be separate.

Ever since last month's challenge ended, I've been finding it a lot more difficult to put in 20 mintues a day. I did at least 20 mintues for 25 straight days, but with in days of the challenge ending I had a day that I didn't want to study at all.

So I guess what I'm hoping for is that the next challenge will start soon (sooner the better). It's much more motivating with a challenge

Byzanti   October 22nd, 2010 5:23a.m.

You could always start up your own challenge? Maybe in the vein of the ones James did before?

It's probably best if you can find a source of self motivation rather than need plied with cookies by the Skritter team...

Bohan   October 22nd, 2010 5:33a.m.

@byzanti I like cookies and I like being plied with them

Nicki   October 22nd, 2010 6:48a.m.

Mmmm cooooookiesssss....

Personally, I was doing 10 a day minimum before the challenge and the 20 felt like a stretch. But I've been keeping it up since then because I could see that it was needed. And I decided that wasn't even enough so yesterday I challenged myself to make it at least 25. And I want to keep pushing myself.

Bring on the next challenge, I'm excited!

Byzanti   October 22nd, 2010 7:28a.m.

I've found that cookies in China are seriously awful. They're all dry and lacking in chocolate. I can't even find decent American imports...

Nicki   October 22nd, 2010 8:23a.m.

Sad but true.

蓓蕾   October 22nd, 2010 8:49a.m.

there's no flour, butter, and chocolate chips/chocolate powder in china? Come on, surely you can figure out a basic cookie recipe with available ingredients.

As for practicing, I find that a habit of just constantly pulling up the main skritter page helps. Then I have a high chance of pushing practice just to see what it gives me - and hopefully practicing for a few minutes there. Over a day the minutes build up.

nick   October 22nd, 2010 9:07a.m.

I was in China and attempted to cross-culturally bake. They said, "We don't have the machine." I said, "You don't need a machine. You just mix the ingredients by hand and then bake them." They said, "Yes, we don't have that machine." They meant an oven--no one had one.

You guys could try the Skritter Agent that faceleg wrote to help motivate you to practice; might work:
http://www.skritter.com/misc/SkritterAgent.jar

Next challenge will start next month after the newsletter goes out.

Nicki   October 22nd, 2010 11:37a.m.

Yes, almost all Chinese food is cooked in a wok so that's pretty much all that's available in Chinese kitchens. Baking supplies like flour and chocolate chips can be hard to get ahold of too, depending on where in China you are.

I have noticed some DIY bakeries popping up here in Haikou though, perhaps if people enjoy those ovens might become more popular?

Byzanti   October 22nd, 2010 11:52a.m.

However, I do have a grill here. I can make cheese on toast. It's awesome.

HappyBlue 善卿   October 23rd, 2010 12:55a.m.

@Nick,
this is probably an obvious question, but I can't see it ...
How does the Skritter Agent work and what do I do with it? Is there a manual somewhere?

nick   October 23rd, 2010 10:37a.m.

It lives in your system tray, and you have to right click it to set up your notification preferences. I kept confusedly asking the author what was wrong with it, too. It will make a little popup every X hours saying it's time to study when Y hours have gone by since you studied or you have Z items due for review.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!