Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

characters with multiple readings

Bohan   October 18th, 2010 3:16a.m.

I was just studying a list of common surnames and I came across 沈. This character can be read either shen3 or chen2, depending on the context. If it's a character in a person's name (if it's a surname) , then it's read "shen3". If the context is "to sink in water" , then it's read "chen2" .

I actually don't have the above info memorizied, I just learned about it a minute ago.

The problem is that as I go through my list of surnames on Skritter, I keep hearing the wrong reading for this surname. I don't want to turn off the audio, because I learn better when listening to the audio, except when the reading isn't right.

What I propose is to be able to specify which reading is being studied when coming across these nasty multiple reading characters.

克里斯   October 18th, 2010 3:22p.m.

I had the same thought. Not only hearing the "wrong" sound, also when you learn tones or type the pinyin you generally only learn one.

I know that Skritter is focused on writing, but as reading is in the system as well, it would be interesting to discuss possibilities to learn all readings with all meanings associated to them.

Any ideas how that could be done? Reading depending on the vocabulary list as Bohan suggested would be one possibility.

nick   October 18th, 2010 4:24p.m.

It is so technically difficult to specify which reading should be studied for each word for Chinese that we are not going to extend the system to do it. I realize that it's not optimal to always have the extra info there when you only care about a specific usage, but it happens infrequently enough in Chinese for most users that we're okay with the trade-off. Sorry!

阿軒   October 18th, 2010 6:47p.m.

I think he meant being able to change which sound is played by himself?

Bohan away from computer   October 18th, 2010 7:06p.m.

@helixness Yeah, that's what I meant.

@Nick I think you may be misunderstanding me. For instance with the character I mentioned above, both of the readings are already displayed. There's usually a default reading which is fine, but sometimes the default isn't the one we want to study, so if we could just click on the other reading to change how the audio is played,that would solve the problem.

So what I'm suggesting is that we users pick the audio on our own.

nick   October 18th, 2010 8:06p.m.

Oh! That's slightly easier, but still pretty tough. Maybe someday we could work that in...

克里斯   October 19th, 2010 12:32a.m.

I think the misunderstanding was caused by my additional ideas. Sorry for that.

I also realised that the problem on my part could be influenced by the fact that I switched to German definitions. If I remember correctly, the English definitions were for all readings and a bit clearer sometimes. Also, I came across a case were the German definition for a traditional character was the same as for the simplified, even though other characters were also simplified to that one.

So I guess if there would be a way to get the English definition (maybe together with the original German definition in case that was already edited) in the Edit Definition function, the definitions could be made clearer.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!