Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

What is everyone studying right now?

west316   October 11th, 2010 1:37p.m.

The title says it all.

What are you studying right now?
What lists/textbooks do you think are really good in general?

I remember a while back someone posted a question like this and I saw a lot of interesting Skritter lists that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. I figured I would bring up that topic again.

What I have studied so far:

Textbooks:
HSK5
New Practical Chinese Reader
Short-term Spoken Chinese 4
Short-term Spoken Chinese 5
Short-term Spoken Chinese 6
汉语精读课本

Other:
Chinese Names: http://www.skritter.com/vocab/list?list=agVza3JpdHIWCxINVm9jYWJMaXN0SW5mbxiWjZEODA

What good lists do you all recommend from Skritter's vast array of resources? Any recommendations for me before I throw myself into the bottomless pit of HSK6?

Byzanti   October 11th, 2010 9:07p.m.

Usborne First 1000 Words in Chinese is awesome. It's basically a big list of everyday nouns.

nick   October 11th, 2010 9:42p.m.

For reference, the older post with cool lists is here:
http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=32144889

There's the Mandarin Chinese Profanity list:
http://www.skritter.com/vocab/list?list=agVza3JpdHIWCxINVm9jYWJMaXN0SW5mbxip9bkGDA
Worth picking a few out of for when you don't want to sound like a sissy yelling "讨厌!" at someone.

Ben made a bunch of other useful lists for us:
http://www.skritter.com/vocab/customlists/search?query=benreitz

Unless you already know them, a lot of the Radicals list and rgwatwormhill's Sound Elements are very useful.

daxiongmao   October 12th, 2010 6:01a.m.

Integrated Chinese lvl1 part1. As it's what we're going through during classes at university. :)

skritterjohan   October 12th, 2010 6:27a.m.

I am studying most of the popular text books and a mix mash of lists including HSK1. I would be studying even more if the lists did not drop off the screen after about 10.

Can we get that changed? :)

Lurks   October 12th, 2010 6:39a.m.

nick, what's actually happening when you add vocab? I struggle to grasp what could/should possibly take one second per word :)

nick   October 12th, 2010 8:46a.m.

Add vocab from where? It's different depending on the place you're adding from.

west316   October 12th, 2010 2:52p.m.

@Nick There are some good lists in there. One of my hobbies is martial arts. I tend more towards Israeli, Filipino, or Brazilian varieties, but some of the terms are quite useful. I also liked the look of the regions lists as well. I vaguely remember that list being mentioned on the old thread as well. Thanks!

Lurks   October 14th, 2010 4:22p.m.

From any of the word lists.

nick   October 15th, 2010 11:54a.m.

You mean, looking at a word list, selecting some of the words, and hitting "Add to Queue"? It just puts each word into your queue. That takes a long time per word for you?

If you're talking about it adding words while practicing, it's a lot more complicated...

Lurks   October 16th, 2010 7:32p.m.

The former. Yes, it takes a second per word. Minutes to add a big list. Each one being updated on the web page as its done so you're clearly aware that it takes awhile to do it and provide feedback.

I'm curious why it should be though. In database terms you could add much more complicated data to a system facing vastly more workload in SQL and it would still be done for the entire list in the order of milliseconds.

nick   October 17th, 2010 8:08p.m.

Just latency per HTTP request, probably. It would probably only take about a second total if we put them all at once instead of one-by-one. Just didn't code it that way. Something to be improved. Not a database thing at all, here.

Lurks   October 18th, 2010 12:01a.m.

Ah groovy! Well it's not done often enough to be a big issue or anything, more a point of curiosity :)

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!