Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Anki, having problems setting up

Bohan   October 11th, 2010 2:53p.m.

I have just downloaded "Anki", the popular SRS flashcard program. I've watched a bunch of screencast videos on how to get set up and import vocab lists, but I can't figure one out: How to get both the pinyin and English (or pinyin and Hanzi) to show up when turning the digital flashcard over.

I've tried a bunch of stuff and went to the Anki Forum , which has a jungle of info on it , but apparently nothing on this.

I also downloaded the two recommended pluggins: Pinyin, and Chinese.

I would greatly appreciated any help!!

jww1066   October 11th, 2010 4:05p.m.

If your pinyin field is called "pinyin" and the hanzi is called "hanzi" you can go to Card Templates and set the "Answer" to

%(pinyin)s
%(hanzi)s

Same for English, naturally.

James

Bohan   October 11th, 2010 8:15p.m.

Hi James,

Sorry, I'm computer illiterate. Can you elaborate a bit? I really bad at these things :(

阿軒   October 12th, 2010 8:04p.m.

Are you importing your skritter vocab list? If so this is interesting to know of.

Thomas   October 12th, 2010 9:40p.m.

I (1) export my Skritter lists or vocab I want to practice, (2) paste it into a excel or openoffice spreadsheet, (3) add together two of the three columns, usually the English and pinyin for the back of the card, using the function B2&" "&B3 which adds both cells together and creates a space between the two (4) export as CVS with UTF-8 encoding (5) import to Anki which should automatically recognize the format and make your cards for you.

Optional step: share the Anki deck and use with the iAnki plugin to use on your iphone or other phone with a decent browser

阿軒   October 13th, 2010 4:31a.m.

sweet... Anyone know is there's a good flash card app for blackberry?

阿軒   October 13th, 2010 6:37a.m.

I don't understand the function you are using... the truth is I don't know how to use excel. How do you bind two columns together and where do you insert your function?

jww1066   October 13th, 2010 9:17a.m.

@Thomas that's way too much work! You can import all the columns as separate fields in Anki and use multiple fields in your answer.

@Bohan
1. Open your deck
2. Go to "Settings" and select "Deck Properties"
3. Select the model you are using for your cards and click "Edit"
4. Go to "Card Templates"
5. Click on the card template you want to change
6. Now follow the instructions in my previous message.

James

Thomas   October 13th, 2010 10:18a.m.

It seems like that worked for me in Anki but not in iAnki. I started doing it that way as soon as they made the export feature, so it's been a while now and I might be wrong.

It's not much work for me, but I guess I'm familiar with the software... for those of you who aren't and want Anki on your apple touch device, you can skip the free and outdated iAnki and have fun with the official iphone app for only $24.99.

Bohan   October 15th, 2010 3:31a.m.

Okay, so I think I've done what Jake has instructed me to do, but I still have a problem: for some reason the Pinyin is going to the "Tags" field , rather than the Pinyin field. So for now the only way for me to study my list is to manually go through and copy/paste the pinyin into the Pinyin field and to erase it from the Tags field.

Is there a faster way? I must still be doing something wrong

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!