Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

How do I use the grid?

Yagebu   October 11th, 2010 4:03a.m.

Hello everyone,

I am new to chinese and I am trying to learn how to write the characters correctly using the grid.

Is there a way of figuring out how to write the characters neatly if I know the directions of the strokes. In other words, is there any logic to using the grid or is it all about feeling and practice?

If you know of any online sources on how to learn how to write the characters you are more than welcome to share them.

Best wishes,

雅各布 Yagebu

nick   October 12th, 2010 11:52a.m.

I don't know too much about calligraphy, but there definitely are guidelines and rules. You want the characters to be balanced, which gives you hints on characters like 和 and 吗 how high the 口 should be. You basically want the characters to fit inside a circle inscribed in the square, which prevents you from making the diagonal strokes in 木 too long. You don't want components in your characters to be too far apart, or they'll look like separate characters when you're writing on paper.

There's a lot more, but that's all I consciously know. I'd be interested in a good list of rules. I do find that I get stroke positions and proportions down a lot better over time just from practicing unconsciously in raw squig mode.

Yagebu   October 15th, 2010 8:09a.m.

Thank you! All I have been told is that the characters should be "balanced" but this is a little vague to me. As you say, it would be good to have a list of rules and I am going to look for one. However, if someone reads this and knows about any book or online website where I can find this please give a heads up.

Best wishes,
Yagebu

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!