Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Option To Only Recognize Traditional Characters

jgarduno   September 21st, 2010 1:07a.m.

A couple friends and I wanted an option to recognize traditional Chinese characters rather than having to remember how to write them. At my university, we were required to write one style, and simply recognize the other-some want to study in Taiwan, others in China.

For those of us looking to write simplified and recognize traditional, can we have an option for that?

Thank you.

nick   September 23rd, 2010 10:49a.m.

It's a good idea, but complicated to implement. How many other people would be interested in this one?

west316   September 23rd, 2010 11:10a.m.

I am semi interested in this one. At the moment, I am patching the holes in my testing vocabulary to go for the highest level of HSK. Afterward, I have one notebook of miscellaneous words and maybe one more book with some words to patch up some holes in my vocabulary. After that... I am done with Chinese unless I go for traditional characters. There are a few books I want to read, but they shouldn't be that hard at that point. I have absolutely no interest in studying how to write them. Learning to read them would be dang useful, though. After the above things are done, there is a good chance I would use it.

(Note 1: I put that long entry ramble in there to put a context on my desire for it. Yes it sounds really useful, but not something I will be using for several months yet.)

(Note 2: I wouldn't have perfect Chinese and I could easily spend a lifetime of studying it and not be done. Everyone has to set their limits, though. That is mine. Afterward, I plan on going after Spanish next. I have to say that so that I don't seem an arrogant jerk though.)

jcardenio   September 23rd, 2010 11:26a.m.

I'll throw in another vote for being interested in something like this. I think it'd be nice especially for some of the more common characters to work on some basic recognition.

Tortue   September 24th, 2010 12:43a.m.

I would be very interested to have this option (but in the other way, I'd like to recognize simp but keep learning/recognize/write trad)

aekelley   September 24th, 2010 12:18p.m.

i'd be interested in this feature.

skritterjohan   September 25th, 2010 1:24p.m.

I would like this feature (recognize simplified) ..

enochchiang   September 28th, 2010 5:23a.m.

I'd love this feature (recognize simplified)

chrisdo99   October 6th, 2010 5:45p.m.

I would also like the option of recognizing simplified.

贺知宝   October 8th, 2010 9:13p.m.

breakphreak   October 11th, 2010 1:48a.m.

I would like the feature as well. Meaning, to being able to recognize the Traditional, not to write it (at least for now).

SpokeLee   October 12th, 2010 2:18a.m.

good idea

west316   October 12th, 2010 2:57p.m.

I already stated that I am in favor of this feature, but I have a small question. Is it possible to just set traditional character to practice definitions? For example, I would have simplified set to give me tones, definitions, and writing. I would also have traditional set to just definition. I might get a queue that looks like simplified writing, simplified writing, simplified definition, traditional definition.

It wouldn't be them side by side, but if I could set a custom definition for the traditional, I could just enter the simplified character as its definition. Then it would just be a matter of telling Skritter to add all of the lists I already have, only add their traditional counterparts.

Is something like that possible now or easy to implement?

nick   October 15th, 2010 12:04p.m.

west316, it is not possible now. Style-specific part study may be worthwhile to implement, but it is not easy. Having separate definitions for simplified and traditional is impossible in the current system except for the handfuls of characters with more than one traditional variant.

We will ponder more powerful ways of combining parts, styles, lists, etc. Thanks for the feedback, all.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!