Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Skritter for English?

OCondliffe   August 13th, 2010 1:52a.m.

Anyone know of a site similar to Skritter for learning English? No need for handwriting recognition, but my students could do with a way of keeping track of their progress, outside of class. Alternatively, a way to adapt Skritter for EFL?

shinyspoons   August 13th, 2010 2:06a.m.

Get them to download Anki - http://ichi2.net/anki/ - it uses Spaced repetition like Skritter so is probally exactly what your looking for and its free.

葛修远   August 13th, 2010 5:29a.m.

+1 for anki!

west316   August 13th, 2010 10:30a.m.

As of two weeks ago, a Chinese friend of mine had a hard time downloading Anki. The site was blocked. She had planned to play around with using it to review her English. When I tried, I couldn't get access to it either. Maybe things are different now, but if your students are in China, then there might be a problem.

OCondliffe   August 14th, 2010 4:34a.m.

Thanks all - I just downloaded it, seems perfect.

P.S. I am in China, I guess they unblocked the site. Shame I can't watch the instructional videos on YouTube without a pr0xy...

jww1066   August 14th, 2010 9:48a.m.

Ehh, you don't need the instructional videos, the Anki wiki is pretty good.

I use Anki a lot. Feel free to email me at jww1066 [at] gmail.com if you have any questions.

James

Shisoik   August 16th, 2010 2:15a.m.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!