Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Skritter, Wacom and Ubuntu

Lurks   June 20th, 2010 6:17p.m.

I switched a couple of laptops to Ubuntu recently. Quite pleasant really, it's come along leaps and bounds - you definitely don't need to be a rocket scientist to make it work these days.

Anyway, I wondered if Skritter running on Chrome on a pretty low powered laptop might meet with more success than I've had under Windows. Unfortunately I came a cropper with my Wacom Pen & Touch not working with Ubuntu out of the box.

A bit of Googling and it seemed like real hard work so I shrugged and forgot about it. Anyway, I stumbled across a much shorter guide, tinkered for a little while and did indeed get the Wacom working. Touched zero settings other than setting the usable area of he pad to be the bottom right quarter, just like I do on Windows.

It runs very nicely indeed... very nice speed. I even actually prefer the sort of scratchy hard pointed input I'm getting from the pad on Ubuntu but above all else it's actually usable on an ickle netbook where I didn't find the performance tolerable on Windows 7.

Could (likely?) be no one cares but I could put up a mini guide or something.

ntozubod   June 20th, 2010 6:29p.m.

I have and ASUS 1000H -- the first EEE PC that had the larger screen. I run Ubuntu on it. Skritter runs great but entering characters on the touchpad is quite unpleasant. With an external mouse it is OK but with my old Wacom Graphire 3 it is GREAT!

I didn't have to do anything to make it work. I am surprised that you needed to do anything special.

balsa   June 20th, 2010 6:42p.m.

@lurks, I'd be interested in the shorter guide you came across.
I have ubuntu on a netbook and a wacom too, but have gotten around to setting up it yet.

nick   June 20th, 2010 6:47p.m.

Lurks, we need this guide! If you write it, we will put a big link to it on this page:
http://www.skritter.com/wacoms/settings
Or we could host it there if you want, too.

阿軒   June 20th, 2010 6:47p.m.

I have been using ubuntu/kubuntu for 3 years now, lately I have been using windows due to lazyness to reinstall my kubuntu.

I installed it last week (kubuntu 10.4 is awesome!), but I can't find any good guides out there to help me install it.

I am also interested in your shorter guide, or your own.

Lurks   June 20th, 2010 7:03p.m.

Nick, I'll just lash some words up and pass it to you to host I think.

This is basically what got me sorted:
http://frankgroeneveld.nl/2010/04/11/get-wacom-bamboo-fun-pen-working-in-ubuntu-lucid/

Although there's a newer version and the device names are way different but if anyone is impatient you will be able to sort it out from that, I'm an Ubuntu noob and I didn't find it that hard.

@ntozubud: Older tablets are fine but the newer ones don't work as standard. Obviously if it just worked out of the box I wouldn't have an issue :)

ntozubod   June 20th, 2010 10:03p.m.

Cool. I would like to try one of the newer, smaller ones and now I have been warned. I will look forward to your comments as well.

Chris D.   June 22nd, 2010 2:11p.m.

I also run Skritter on Ubuntu with Chrome using a Wacom pad. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 x86_64 and the Wacom didn't just work out of the box. I had to download the drivers and install them myself. Also note that every time you update your kernel you need to reinstall the drivers. The last time I did this I installed a newer version of the drivers (0.8.6 -> 0.8.8) which actually broke things so I had to revert to 0.8.6 again. One thing that I can't get working is limiting the drawable area to only one of my screens. I have a dual monitor setup and the tablet is mapped to the combined space of both monitors. This makes horizontal strokes twice as long as they should be. I've fooled around with the wacomcpl tool but it seems to not have any effect.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!