Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Flashcards Deluxe for Iphone

drknoerz   April 23rd, 2010 3:41a.m.

Hi!

Try Flashcards Deluxe for Iphone. It is the best Flashcard app there (at least at the time i got it, and i tried several ones).

ANd just now i realized how flawless it works together with skrtters export function. I'll be "afk" several days, and now i can at least refresh the recently learned items...

hkboy   April 23rd, 2010 7:22a.m.

Thanks for that. I just bought an itouch and I'm looking for a nice flashcard program. I haven't tried to export my vocabulary yet. I guess it must be fairly easy to get your vocab. to this program.

Please tell us more. Why do you like it so much?

Lurks   April 23rd, 2010 11:52p.m.

I assume you're aware of Pleco? I've used this for a long time and I'm presently beta testing the iPhone version with flashcard support.

The flashcard support is astronomically better than anything else on the planet. I just had a look at Flashcards Deluxe and it looks kind of nice enough but it really isn't in the same league.

Barring any bug hickups I believe the author said it would be submitted to Apple on the weekend.

You can download the demo of pleco (without the flashcard add-on) right now to get an idea of the quality we're talking about.

I don't have any personal interest in Pleco other than having been on the lookout for the best tools ever since my Chinese learning journey. Incidentally there appear to be discussions ongoing about having Pleco share vocab with Skritter via the Skritter API. Not that it's particularly hard to do it manually, the way Pleco runs as a sort of web server allowing you to manually upload flashcard lists is pretty spectacular as it is.

Lurks   April 23rd, 2010 11:57p.m.

Oh, this is the manual for the upcoming flashcard module in Pleco: http://www.pleco.com/beta/ipmanual/flash.html

Fair few screenshots and what have you.

hkboy   April 24th, 2010 1:29a.m.

Many thanks Lurks,

I have heard about Pleco. I'll check it out soon.

Lurks   May 2nd, 2010 7:52p.m.

Just to necro this thread, Pleco for iPhone 2.1 is out which has the flashcard functionality in it.

As I said before, it's really the best mobile tool around so it's worth a look for anyone with an iPod or an iPhone.

podster   May 3rd, 2010 8:35a.m.

Lurks,
At last! I am en enthusiastic Pleco fan also and have been waiting for this. Do you have any suggestions on the easiest way to move a Skritter list into an iPod Touch ( or iPhone or iPad) Pleco flashcard deck?

Lurks   May 3rd, 2010 5:49p.m.

Yep sure. It's really not hard at all.

The Skritter bit.

Hit the list you want and then select more actions, you should see export under that. By default everything should be ticked so just proceed and Skritter will take an inordinately long time to shove the words into a big textarea box.

Now here's the trick, Skritter inserts a blank line and then a line with the chapter title. What you need to do is replace this blank line and the return wherever it occurs so that:

"

chapter 1"

Now looks like this:

"//name of your list/chapter 1"

If you've a fancy pants text editor you can do that automatically but obviously you can also do it by hand. You need to make sure you save the list out of your text editor as UTF8 and with a .txt extension.

The Pleco bit.

1. Get your iPhone/iPhone on your home network via WiFi.
2. In Flashcards hit the import cads function.
3. Hit Upload from computer.
4. Now open a web browser to IP address and port which is shown to you. You'll see a web interface.
5. Select upload and select your flashcard file you made and upload it.
6. Exit to flashcards page.
7. Select Import cards and select the file which you uploaded.
8. Change definition source to "prefer dicts"
9. Enter dictionaries and set the order which you prefer dictionaries. *
10. You may want to select prompt for ambiguous entries. Tuttle in particular tends to put different readings of a character as different entries so it will be more important for that.
11. Then hit Begin Import.

Now you should have the flashcards imported in the category of "name of your list" that you specified above.

* Tuttle is a great flashcard dictionary, but so is Pleco C-E because it has been formatted correctly. Other dictionaries tend to be a bit of a mess. The free CC-CEDICT will give you entries that look like Skritter if you prefer, you will need to download that add-on for Pleco (it's free and well worth it).

Then you just need to work out what sort of flashcard system you like. I personally use something close to the "weighted" default profile, running through 50 card segments but others like the pure SRS system.

Pleco is a really great way to create lists which you go and export back to Skritter too.

雅各   May 3rd, 2010 6:27p.m.

+1 for Pleco (:

podster   May 5th, 2010 3:12a.m.

Thanks, Lurks. Can't say I completely understand, but I'll wait until I have tried it to ask questions.

Lurks   May 5th, 2010 8:10a.m.

I think the only bit that wont be pretty obvious is the text reformatting, I was probably being needlessly descriptive with the pleco side of things.

We could always ask the Skritter HQ to change the output text from export so it actually conforms to flash card standard?

This was discussed in the past, I think with regards to importing actually. This change would be even simpler.

icybeam   June 15th, 2010 9:45p.m.

"Hit the list you want and then select more actions, you should see export under that. By default everything should be ticked so just proceed and Skritter will take an inordinately long time to shove the words into a big textarea box. "

This doesn't make sense to me. What exactly do you mean? In my class we are using the text book, but i want to put the chapter vocab into flashcards for pleco and then use skritter for other stuff. Do I have to put each ch. in my queue? and then how do I delete it? I don't have much time to play with this, I have 4-5 hours of homework a night, so if there is an easy way, could someone lay out the instructions please?

icybeam   June 15th, 2010 9:51p.m.

hmm...nm. my brain is fried. i got it

DependableSkeleton   June 16th, 2010 4:00a.m.

I recently started using Pleco for an iPod Touch and I really like it. To follow up from another thread, I agree that a real dictionary with sample sentences is very helpful. Last night I exported my skritter vocab to Pleco to use their flashcard system and so far I like it. My question for Lurks is, what are you beta testing if the flashcards are already available?

Thanks for the explanation about keeping the sections separate during export/import. Other than that, I found the whole export/import process very intuitive.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!