Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

can not study a single list

stefanshanghai   November 25th, 2012 9:34a.m.

I was waitingso much for the upgrade, because I want to study a single list. Now with the advanced study, I can choose the list I want, but when I start studing, all my words are showed :-(

shenqi   November 25th, 2012 10:07a.m.

Same here, going to try clearing local data.

Edit: cleared local data and still unable to study single lists. Getting the same words as if I were to just hit "Study" instead of "Advanced Study".

frejahel   November 25th, 2012 10:30a.m.

Unfortunately it's the same here as well. I have cleared local data, reinstalled the app and rebooted my device. Running iOS 5.1.1. on both my iPad 3 and iPhone 4S and the same problem occurs.

pprendeville   November 25th, 2012 10:51a.m.

Had posted below in a different thread earlier but I think it's more appropriate here:

Cam someone explain how to study individual lists? This feature ain't working for me. I've Integrated Chinese Level 1 and Integrated Chinese Level 2 as separate lists. When I go into Advanced Study>Lists>Integrated Chinese 2>Study List>Study I keep getting words from Integrated Chinese 1. Don't think this is supposed to be happening? How about everyone else. This feature work

Edit: after getting through about 80 characters its started throwing in some from IC2. I have stopped adding from IC1 but this doesn't resolve problem either. I wonder when studying a new list does Skritter throw in old words for review while just adding new words from the selected list? Don't see anything in the FAQ section about this feature. I thought that it meant that the individual lists being studied were completely separate, I.e. they didn't cross over into each other with vocabulary from one list coming up in the other?

蓓蕾   November 25th, 2012 11:21a.m.

When I try, it appears to provide reviews from all my lists, but only add new vocab from the selected list. Which isn't really what I want, but is better than nothing.

pprendeville   November 25th, 2012 12:28p.m.

Yes that short and sweet version sums up my post above.

nick   November 25th, 2012 1:31p.m.

I haven't found the cause of the issue yet, but I'll work on debugging this today and submit a bugfix update to Apple as soon as I can. Thanks for the bug reports, guys.

snowcreature99   November 25th, 2012 4:06p.m.

The behavior I see is that in the list chooser multiple lists become selected, without me actually selecting them.

xhjema   November 25th, 2012 4:14p.m.

is there a workaround - like changing some other setting?

nick   November 25th, 2012 4:18p.m.

I'm not sure yet--I'll let you know when I figure out what's causing it, though.

nick   November 25th, 2012 6:20p.m.

I found the cause of the problem and fixed it, along with one major and several other minor bugs that have been reported so far. Unfortunately, there's no workaround at the moment except to wait for Apple to review my update. I hope that they'll expedite it.

Thanks for your patience--just a little bit longer for single list study!

pprendeville   November 25th, 2012 6:32p.m.

Have a Chinese exam coming up on 3rd Dec and was hoping to use this single list feature to get up to date on characters from the new book. How long do Apple usually take to get new versions up on iTunes?

nick   November 25th, 2012 6:34p.m.

If they permit an expedited review (hopeful), then a couple days. Otherwise, 5-8 business days.

xhjema   November 25th, 2012 6:35p.m.

Compared to the time it will take me to master 2000 characters it is still a very short time :-)
Seriuosly - I think being able to report bugs, get feedback from the source and get info about the solution in a few hours is very good. Not many software companies handle that!

philippec   November 26th, 2012 12:55a.m.

pprendeville> For your exam, you can create a new account for one week and study only the list you are interesred in.

Then, after the exam (or once a day), you can add manually to your regular account the different caracters you've just learned in order to keep your account up to date.

And then discover the Single list feature in about one week or so... ! :-)

CC   November 26th, 2012 2:32a.m.

Got to agree with xhjema. It's good to know you guys care about us!

podster   November 26th, 2012 2:53a.m.

Skritter is an exceptional company.

nick   November 26th, 2012 3:01a.m.

Just sorry to have thrown such a buggy update your way! All of these bugs were my fault; I didn't test my recent changes enough. I'm glad to have such patient users such as y'all!

pprendeville   November 26th, 2012 3:02a.m.

Agreed - Skritter is an exceptional company (along with Pleco) in terms of response times and customer service. I was just wondering how long the whole procedure took. I was thinking about creating another account but assumed I'd need another license. I'll give it a try. Thanks guys.

Not to worry Nick. You even worked it out on a rest day. Really appreciate that. That goes above and beyond the call of service in all honesty so if its 5-8 days then so be it. I'm not complaining. :)

Altaira   November 26th, 2012 2:11p.m.

I have recently had bad experiences with updates and upgrades of other apps, so now I wait and visit the forums before I download the updates.

I'm glad I waited on this.

Skritter is awesome and I know you guys will get all the bugs out ASAP!

nick   November 26th, 2012 5:03p.m.

Apple has been nice and given us an expedited review, so let's hope that goes through and we get the update in the next couple days.

pprendeville1   November 27th, 2012 4:59a.m.

Great stuff.

nomadwolf   November 28th, 2012 12:39a.m.

Does advanced review count to statistics? (I assume yes).
Is there a way to have it not count? Similar to scratch-pad without the trouble of being able to add words.

My daughter LOVES to use Skritter (writing only). However she's 4, so I'd rather her scratching not count to my retention stats. For now, I have to turn off wireless while she uses it, and clear local data when she's done.
A nice "don't save" switch in the Advanced panel would be superb.

nick   November 28th, 2012 1:00a.m.

nomadwolf, if you just give her her own account with the words she can add during the one-week free trial, then you can easily switch in between accounts in the iOS app, and she'll have enough words to play with.

nomadwolf   November 28th, 2012 3:39a.m.

Sounds like a plan... then perhaps she can work on more simple characters than my list...

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!