Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Interesting way to learn vocab

Antimacassar   October 16th, 2011 9:53a.m.

I just couldn't get the word 熏陶 in to my tiny brain but the other day it came up while I was peeling an orange and some juice happened to flick into my eye (which really stung) and since then I've got it every time. Maybe it's a great new way to learn vocab!?

Any one else had a similar experience?

mcfarljw   October 16th, 2011 10:09a.m.

I usually just remember weird words with revamped obscene stories, never a physical reminder. Though now I'm intrigued so I'll try splashing citric liquids into my eye as a painful reminder haha.

GrandPoohBlah   October 16th, 2011 1:33p.m.

Often you need something for the brain to latch onto in order to memorize things, such as an experience, a mnemonic, contextual appearances, and so forth. Otherwise the connection between a word and its definition seem arbitrary.

nick   October 16th, 2011 3:33p.m.

Haha, that's great. Maybe as an extension to the upcoming leech detection feature, you could ask Skritter to surprise you with something crazy while you try to learn the word next time, and you would get a uniquely crazy thing to help associate the memory with.

Not that I think it makes business sense for us to come up with hundreds of uniquely crazy things to surprise learners with, but it would be fun.

Byzanti   October 16th, 2011 6:08p.m.

Nick, I already did, 3500 strong uniquely crazy things --- pictures!

Still, even that isn't a strong a memory as something from real life with an emotional reaction. Eg, I've probably never forgotten how to write 流氓的氓, since on the whiteboard the teacher drew it like a 言 radical, and having never seen 亡 as a radical before I was faintly surprised when I asked him about it...

o   October 17th, 2011 9:05a.m.

Hey Byzanti, where and how can I access your pictures?

nick   October 17th, 2011 10:01a.m.

We're thinking about making support for a full-on picture mode, where you could choose to have pictures and they'd be part of the official definitions if you had them enabled. So to add a picture, you'd submit it as a correction. For this, Skritter would pull the pictures and automatically host/resize them. We'd then start with Byzanti's awesome collection. So that would be one way--to wait for that. (He's got some great pics in there.)

jcardenio   October 17th, 2011 8:35p.m.

I'd vote for this idea! I want to see those pics!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!