Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Skritter unusably slow this morning

Kai Carver   June 18th, 2011 10:38p.m.

Skritter has been getting stuck quite often for the last hour or so.

It was going OK around 2 AM GMT, but since 3 AM GMT it gets stuck, see picture.

http://imgur.com/SW5oC

I'm in Taipei. I tried skritter.cn but it seems even slower.

Roland   June 18th, 2011 10:42p.m.

Same for me in Shanghai since a couple of hours, I'm very unhappy, as I had reserved the Sunday morning to get all my reviews done and get the backlog close to zero - now I've given up.

juanda2009   June 18th, 2011 11:13p.m.

same here in Australia. its just freezing every two characters for minutes at a time. thought there might have been somethign wrong with my internet... guess not. giving up right about now too.

Mandarinboy   June 18th, 2011 11:14p.m.

This started yesterday afternoon for me in Japan. Today it is however much worse. I have an average of 40 seconds per save. I thought that where my fault since i added 500 Chinese pod lists but now it seems that you have this too. Same problem with both .com and .cn I switch to Anki for a few hours to see if this resolves. By the way, will it impact the speed to have a lot of lists? Chinese pod lists are very small and most of the words are the same so there is maybe only 1 or 2 words added per lists. I can't remove the list once I have studied it without removing the words. Maybe export all my words to one list and nuke my account to get it down to one single list?

Mandarinboy   June 18th, 2011 11:23p.m.

Can't see any problem on app engine side: http://code.google.com/status/appengine/detail/datastore/2011/06/18#ae-trust-detail-datastore-put-latency

There seems to be no alerts on any of the meters.

valerio   June 18th, 2011 11:45p.m.

Also for me. Hangzhou. So SLOW

Stuart   June 18th, 2011 11:50p.m.

Yeah I thought last night it seemed a little slow and now this morning it's basically unusable.

Elwin   June 19th, 2011 12:08a.m.

same for me in beijing, not really working atm

nick   June 19th, 2011 12:22a.m.

Our App Engine response times are off the chart for the past few hours. I'm not sure what's going on with it, but I'm looking into it and trying a few workarounds.

I've added a day to all y'all's accounts. Sorry about this downtime!

nick   June 19th, 2011 12:24a.m.

I think we need to expedite our plans to switch to App Engine's more reliable datastore pronto. This shouldn't happen at all after we do that, but we're behind on transferring the data to make the switchover.

houckchris   June 19th, 2011 12:31a.m.
Kai Carver   June 19th, 2011 12:48a.m.

I got Roland's reply by email... 1000 times and counting over the last hour... That can't be good!
http://screencast.com/t/jishvZfy

Rolands   June 19th, 2011 1:50a.m.

Last 2 days, extremely slow for me in Taichung, Taiwan :(
So, at least I can see I am not alone

Kathrin   June 19th, 2011 2:07a.m.

For me, it's also very, very, very slow. :(

cmccorvey   June 19th, 2011 3:05a.m.

Yeah, same here. I am using http://www.skritter.cn from Kunming. Yesterday morning, afternoon and evening seemed fine.

cmccorvey   June 19th, 2011 3:17a.m.

Hmm... Wouldn't you know it? As soon as I chimed in it seems to start working just fine... Used it for the past 10 minutes or so, no problems.

Rolands   June 19th, 2011 5:18a.m.

yeah, i had skrittered for some 40 min's now, also fine

Kai Carver   June 19th, 2011 5:29a.m.

yup it's working better now

the flood of forum emails (all the same) also stopped, at 15:12 China time. I got nearly 4000!

Elwin   June 19th, 2011 5:46a.m.

here also working smooth now, wow 4000 skritter spam mails!!;-)

Foo Choo Choon   July 2nd, 2011 4:46p.m.

Does the speed green/yellow/red indicator at the bottom of the study page always refer to server responses or does the local internet connection play a role as well?
Today the flash app's responses are unusually sluggish, and I wonder if it's my slow web connection. Server response times are regularly at 1000-2000 ms.

(I also considered the remote possibility that, at least for users with many items, excessive over-studying increases latency as data queries need to work through larger parts of the database.)

Byzanti   July 2nd, 2011 6:45p.m.

It's from the server to you, so yes your local internet connection matters.

Eg. If I'm studying on a train it's permanently red...

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!